Friday, September 28, 2007

I Smell Like Drywall Screws

When your wall isn't dry, just add drywall! Thanks to our recent septic invasion, some drywall in our finished basement had to be fixed.

Step one: Take out the wet drywall. Thanks to the new hole in the wall, our cats had to be sequestered upstairs. This is because I could just see our cats trying to explore the wall. I did not like the thought of them getting caught in the wall (I knew it would be Shelly. One time she managed to wedge herself in the box spring of a mattress. This time, it would be something to the effect of "Shelly, knock 3 times so momma knows where you are!") The cats did not appear to mind the lack of access to the downstairs. However, I was not excited about having to move their litterboxes upstairs into our bathroom. This increased my motivation to get the wall fixed.


Step two: Make the hole even bigger! I was extra cautious and shut off the power to the area. I knew I'd have to be wrangling around an open outlet box. Plus, I wasn't sure exactly where the wires were in the wall.


Step 3: Fill the hole with more drywall. Yes, the drywall is green. I opted for Greenboard. I don't think it's any more environmentally friendly than regular drywall, but it is marketed as moisture-resistant. I hope to not have any more septic dysfunction, but I figured for the extra 3 bucks, I'd go with the green stuff. Despite the fun appearance of having a chalkboard on the bottom of the wall, I will follow up with taping, mudding, primer, and a coat of paint.


As you can see, a good time was had by all.

1 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I think your ready for Tom Silva and this old house crew. I seen work by so called professionals that did not look that good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home