Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Dear Craft Person

Well, I survived my first craft fair. You know, it is damn near impossible to find a "Craft Fair Virgin" t-shirt these days. Why do you think that is? Perhaps I should make one. It would most certainly have an applique of some sort, and lots of glitter. Yes, that would be crafty indeed.

Anyhow. I won't say I had a fantastic time at the craft fair. I am not one for chatting up strangers; my face hurt from smiling all day. But it wasn't like someone was gouging my eyes out or anything, so it wasn't all bad.

The display turned out okay... I went for the industrial chic look. I built a frame, covered it with pegboard, and finished it with metal corners and upholstery nails. You can't tell from the picture, but the display rotates, thanks to a handy dandy lazy susan bearing. I also had two light switches (complete with an actual switch; I told one person that everytime they flipped the switch, somewhere in the building a light was going on and off) mounted on top of the display.

There was a fairly decent selection of plates, I think. One woman bought 6 plates, and I think she's going to order up some more. The John Deere plates were popular, and I had requests for black lab plates, as well as Red Sox plates.

I had this dream of selling all of the lightswitch plates, but of course that was just a dream. I would have been happy with selling 50, but I only managed to peddle about 30 of the things. I think that particular craft fair was perhaps not the best venue, and the fair was held on a weekday. Perhaps if I had some knit switchplates with doilies glued on, I would have fared better.

And thus ends this episode of Tales from the Craft Fair.

1 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps you could cover some with a cozy!

Sounds like you "faired" well! Congrats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home