Monday, December 04, 2006

Is it Hot in Here, or is it Me?

What I learned this Weekend
by Sarah

Yesterday I had the bright idea that I would try eating a hot chili pepper. You see, I have this plant at work. Let's call it Chili. Actually, maybe it should be Chili 2, in honor of Chili the dachshund. Anyway, Chili 2 has been bearing quite a lot of fruit, and I decided to pick off the chilis and grind them up for seasoning. But for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to eat one. A whole one. I can eat jalepenos, certainly this measly chili would be no match for me. Oh, I was so very wrong. There was so much burning, for a moment I thought perhaps I should coat the inside of my mouth with Preparation H. Instead I sucked on some ice cubes. I know that's not what you're supposed to do, that yogurt is better. However, I can't stand yogurt, and at least the ice numbed my mouth. Four ice cubes later, the burning had subsided to a tolerable level. "Remind me not to do that again," I said with my firebreath. I produced hot burps for the rest of the day, just as a gentle reminder.

2 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger J said...

Uhm, I would have done that too. As an FYI, sour cream, milk, or any dairy product would have worked better than ice, and really, do you need an excuse for ice cream?

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Trista said...

Kristin and I used to have a decorative chili plant that produced purple chilis. One day my dad was over and joking about the plant and Kristin dared him to stick one of the chilis in his mouth...

Now, my dad is the kind of person for whom hotter has always meant better. But I have NEVER seen such a look of amazement and pain on one person's mouth. It was pretty funny. I can't believe he actually stuck it in his mouth!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home