Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Clearly I Have Lost My Mind

Here's how it went down:

My coworker: You should sell your lightswitch plates at a craft fair.
Me: Okay!



You see, I make these delightful decorative lightswitch plates. My coworker saw them, and thought they would sell well at a craft fair. Who wouldn't want a chili pepper lightswitch plate? Or maybe a mod design? Or barnyard animals?

Somehow I thought this was a good idea, and signed up for the craft fair. What I did not realize was that (a) I would have to make a lot of lightswitch plates, and (b) that I would have to deal with people. Instead I thought, "hey, maybe I can make some extra money."

As a result, I have spent pretty much all of my spare time working on the lightswitch plates. Making them is not exactly rocket science, but it does take a bit of time, and involves several steps. In order to make this profitable, I set a goal of making 100 lightswitch plates by the day of the fair (December 8). I have since learned that making one or two for the house is much different than making 100. Anyhow, I should be able to meet that goal in the next day or so. Hooray!

The part that I'm a wee bit apprehensive about is the actual craft fair. There will be people there. If you know me, you will know that I am not a bubbly, outgoing person, and am not well versed in the ancient art of small talk. How will I do this? How exactly will I interact with people in a pleasant manner? Maybe I should do some role playing:

Scenario 1.
Shopper: Hello.
Me:

Scenario 2.
Shopper: Hello.
Me: Who the hell are you? Stop talking to me.

Scenario 3.

Shopper: Hello
Me: Hi.

Clearly this needs some work, but as you can see I've already made great improvements between Scenario 1 and 3.

9 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Trista said...

Sarah:

A) Those light switch covers are fantabulous!

B) You just made me laugh really, really hard. Thank you.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

a) thank you!
b) glad to be of service!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Calliope said...

wow. those are pretty groovy.
Maybe you could make a poster that says you are a mute and only take exact change.

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love them Sarah.....
you should think about selling them on e-bay :-) you could have your own online store!

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK that was down right funny... The switch plates are bangin'. As far as the craft fair banter is concerned may I suggest alcohol?

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think-you have to be doing better than the woman who makes those yarn covered plastic toilet paper covers . .you know what I mean?

I like Calliope's idea. you could take a pic of you next to your poster . .hehe

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oooh, my grandmother used to have those toilet paper cozies! They looked like little hats.

She also had a cozy for her appliances... a toaster cozy, a coffeemaker cozy. I'm surprised she didn't have a refrigerator cozy.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger DB said...

Hey! I've always wanted to make a few of those for the house.

Any tips?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger *G* said...

hahaha! LOVE the conversation scenarios. That would TOTALLY be me, too. I hate talking to strangers. I even make Jen order the pizza via phone, because I hate the telephone.

Very cool plates. An ebay store sounds like a pretty rad idea, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home