Monday, December 18, 2006

Hello, My Name is Doofus.

I'm really bad with names. I see someone, and I know they know me, and I can't remember their name. It's a problem for me. I can remember weird stuff, like so-and-so has a Linksys WRT54G router, but just don't expect me to remember their name.

Thus is my current dilemma (not to be confused with diorama). There's this woman who works in the next buidling over from me. Of course I do not know her name, but I probably should. She knows my name, or at least so I thought. Often times when I'm leaving work, she'll be outside smoking, and say "Hello, Sandy." My name is not Sandy. At first I didn't realize she was calling me Sandy. Once I noticed that she was calling me Sandy, I did not correct her. What would I say? "Um, I have absolutely no idea what your name is, but I can tell you that I'm not Sandy." So now I have put myself in the position of having to answer to "Sandy." She says "Hi Sandy," and I say "Hello." I suppose it could be worse; it's not like she's calling me "Burt."

Is there anyway to undo this? Or has it just gone too far?

3 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

I would make a joke about it. Next time you see her just say that you just realized that she wasn't the person you thought she was & you don't seem to be the person she thought you were.

or just get all up in her face with a, "bitch! Who you calling Sandy??"

or something like that.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough one!

I run into a similar thing very often -- my name isn't pronounced the way you probably think it is. (It has a "short i" not a "long i" sound.)

Usually I correct people once or twice, and then leave it be. But this has led to embarassing results where OTHER people correct them in front of me after I've been allowing the mispronounciation for months.

So I recommend correcting her, at least if there's any chance that someone else will tell her your name isn't Sandy. That is more embarassing for everyone.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always asking people in my new job what people's names are. Someone walks out of the office, and I am like "Hey, who is that?" Luckily most of us have little name plates on or near our desks.

Names are hard-and nowadays the names seem even harder-you aren't jut worrying about Bob and Sandy, but names like Sanyish, Yankapah, and Shamisha . . .I call people daily and am forced to butcher their names . . it is a sin they let me do this. It is even more fun when you don't know the sex of the person-so can't even ask for Mr. Yankapah, cause YOU DON'T KNOW!!

I say correct her with the name tag idea, I like that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home